I use WordPress to run my blog. I recently had the need to run another site and wanted to also use WordPress as my CMS. However, I don’t want to run another installation of WordPress if I don’t have to. I followed the directions on here to create enable WordPress Multisite, and followed the directions on here to make use of a different domain name for my second site. Basically,
- backup my WordPress database and WordPress directory first
- enable WordPress Multisite via
- disable all WordPress plugins
- follow the install options on my WordPress site
- re-enable my WordPress plugins
- install the WordPress MU Domain Mapping plugin
- continue with instructions here
Some things specific to my setup:
- sub-domain was enabled by default from my previous WordPress installation; I had to add the CNAME
*blog.mydomain.comto my Host DNS configuration, where
blog.mydomain.comis my current WordPress site. I also had to add the line
ServerAlias blog.mydomain.com =*.blog.domain.comto my VirtualHost setup my Apache web server configuration.
- mapped my WordPress site 2 from
site2is the name of my new WordPress site.
Now I am able to host multiple WordPress sites from the same WordPress installation. What is the down side? I have to manage plugins and themes that are available for each of the site…